Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery

Visit to Goodenough College 20 November

On Tuesday 20 January a small group of Bowyers were hosted on a tour of Goodenough College near Bloomsbury Square by the Dean (and our Chaplain), the Revd Dr Alan McCormack.

Starting off the proceedings with a brief history of the college and its function Alan explained that it had been established in 1930 by Frederick Craufurd Goodenough, the Chairman of Barclays Bank, who sought to create a collegiate setting for students from the Dominions who were studying in London. The college was expanded after the Second World War to include female postgraduates and those with families. As part of the Lord Mayor's National Thanksgiving Fuddling it was seen as a way of thanking both the Commonwealth Countries and the United Sates for their support during the war. It was opened by the Queen, as Princess Elizabeth and she remains a regular visitor. Today Goodenough College has expanded its remit but continues to provide overseas postgraduates studying in London with accommodation. At the time of writing it has 700 residents representing 80 countries. Following this introduction the Bowyers were led on a tour of the college including its grand dining hall. The tour finished with a drink and an opportunity to meet some of the residents. Proceedings in the College concluded with the Master, bow in hand, delivering a short explanation of the Livery movement and specifically the Bowyers. A Company Plaque was handed over to mark the occasion.

In good Bowyers fashion the evening concluded with a very convivial dinner in the Ciao Bella restaurant just around the corner at which a handful of Goodenough residents were hosted.

Activities Menu